You will be welcomed by Julia Giles, the Maid of all Work. Together you will experience Julia’s life in the Basement and life for the family ‘Upstairs’.
- Be encouraged to make comparisons between 21st Century and 19th Century homes
- Experience life in Victorian Cheltenham, as a maid and middle class family
- Discover Gustav Holst’s family home
- Dress up and assist Julia Giles with chores in the Victorian Basement
- Play with Victorian, replica toys
- Be asked questions to develop their historical enquiry skills
- A study of an aspect of history or a site dating from a period beyond 1066 that is significant in the locality
- Changes in an aspect of social history, for example leisure and entertainment in the 20th Century
- Listen and respond appropriately to adults and their peers
- Ask relevant questions to extend their understanding and knowledge
- 2 hour session
- £4.50 per child or £65 minimum charge; helpers free
- Maximum 1 class in the Museum at any one time
Available all year; booking necessary.
We have a Museum shop with pocket money toys for between £1 and £3.50. Please let us know at time of booking if you’d like to use our shop.
Holst Birthplace Museum
4 Clarence Road