COVID-19: A message from the Chairman of the Holst Birthplace Trust, Steve Wood.
The Holst Birthplace Trust is a charity which exists to manage and care for the Holst Birthplace Museum. It costs over £100 a day to keep the Museum open. Donations, becoming a Friend, volunteering, registering for Easyfundraising (to raise money for us when you shop online,) and leaving a gift in your will, are all ways you can support us to ensure our much loved Museum remains open, thriving and able to offer an exciting programme of events, exhibitions, school visits and family activities.
How to make a donation to the Museum
- Via online banking directly to the Trust: see details above
- Use a credit or debit card (processed securely by Stripe)
- In person at the Museum
- By post to: Holst Birthplace Museum, 4 Clarence Road, Cheltenham GL52 2AY. (cheques payable to ‘Holst Birthplace Trust’)
- Leave a gift to the Museum in your will
It’s free, and you don’t need to submit any bank account details. Here’s a quick guide.
- If you have a laptop or PC: go to www.easyfundraising.org.uk . You will see a message in the middle of the screen saying “Search for a Cause” – type in “Holst Birthplace Museum”.
- Click on the pink “Support This Cause” button and create an account for yourself. Don’t worry – you don’t have to enter any financial details at all.
- Once you have registered, it’s time to shop!
- Instead of going directly to Amazon or wherever you want to shop, login to Easyfundraising and search that website for the retailer you want. There are loads to choose from – Amazon, M&S, Tesco, John Lewis, Waitrose etc etc.
- Then you just shop online as usual. Each of the retailers registered with Easyfundraising will donate a small percentage of the price of your shop to the Museum, at no cost to you.
If you have a tablet, you can download the Easyfundraising app, and register / login as above.
Become a Friend of the Holst Birthplace Museum
Join us at one of our events
Details of upcoming Museum and Holst related events appear on our regularly updated What’s on page.
Become a trustee
Would you like to join a board of enthusiastic and dedicated trustees who ensure that a unique Cheltenham museum continues to be an asset to the town?
Watch this space for details of vacancies.
Become a volunteer
The Holst Birthplace Museum welcomes volunteers as an essential part of our organisation. Our volunteers join us to make friends, to pursue an interest, to further their careers or just for fun! No prior knowledge of Gustav Holst or Victorian history or music is needed. Volunteer at the Museum.
Spread the word
How support has helped the Museum
The ‘Help Holst’ campaign
The Museum suffered water damage during torrential downpours in June 2016. This caused severe damage to three of the Museum’s period rooms. Although much of the damage was covered by insurance, a £30,000 ‘Help Holst’ fundraising campaign was launched to fund repairs not covered by insurance, and crucially loss of income during the six month period of closure. Thanks to the generosity of the public, the Holst Foundation and Cheltenham Borough Council, the Museum raised the required amount to reopen.
Enhancing our collections
The Museum has approximately 3,000 items, including a significant archive. A few years ago, it added to its important collection of Holst-related material by acquiring at auction a portrait of Isobel Holst (Gustav’s wife) by the artist Millicent Woodforde. It was purchased with Art Fund support and the generosity of individuals. The portrait is now on display at the Museum.